Share this article paywall-free.
The tragic pit bull attack that left a 3-year-old girl dead in High Point is heart-rending.
Defenders say the breed is misunderstood and misrepresented.
And it is true that, under certain circumstances, any dog can bite and seriously injure a child or an adult.
But most pit bulls I’ve seen (and I try to keep my distance) seem aggressive by nature.
Jeremy Williamson of the nonprofit Merit Pit Bull Foundation, which rescues and finds adoptive families for pit bulls, contends that’s not true.
“At the end of the day,” he said today, “I don’t think that a pit bull is any different from any other dog,” he said.
Williamson noted that the current puncture wound on his hand came courtesy of a Jack Russell terrier and that, among the most aggressive dogs he’s seen are feisty little Yorkies.
- Jet It grounds its HondaJet fleet after fiery crash in SC
- Newest tenant at Winston-Salem mall is creating a stir — only no one can shop there
- Man accused of shooting his mother to death at her Greensboro home, authorities say
- NASCAR investigating derogatory comment aimed at Bubba Wallace during All-Star Race in North Wilkesboro.
- Richard Bowling, who fought for progress and brought disco to Greensboro, dies at 84
- Tina Turner, unstoppable superstar whose hits included 'What's Love Got to Do With It,' has died at 83
- As Toyota nears first major hiring phase for NC plant, it says more people interested in working there than at any of its U.S. plants
- Cone Health breaks ground on 'heart tower'
- Gunshot victim found dead at gas station in Rockingham County
- Man shot and killed by deputies in Kernersville identified.
- Authorities: Greensboro man charged in baby's death has history of child abuse
- Judge denies bond to man accused of killing Jesse Pitonzo, 26, in February
- Guilford County Sports Hall inducts 12 in latest class, including Susan Yow
- 'Monumental milestone': Baby pygmy hippo born at Greensboro Science Center.
- Shooting overnight in Greensboro leaves 1 victim in critical condition, police say
But he also says a pit bull is well-equipped to do serious damage. “Most pit bulls are powerful dogs.”
Williamson, who is working on an op-ed for us, said the key is training — for dogs and owners (70 percent for the owner, 30 percent for the dog).
“It’s a horrific tragedy,” he said of the child’s death.
“At the end of the day, it’s my responsibility to protect my family,” he said. “It’s all about being responsible.”
Be the first to know
Get local news delivered to your inbox!