Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.


  • Updated
  • 0

Key developments Friday in the Iraq crisis:

In Iraq:

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan in Baghdad to try to avoid military strike, meets Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz and calls his mission ``a sacred duty.'Hours before he arrives, an Iraqi government cleric cautions that Annan should not present a peace formula so unacceptable that it gives the United States an excuse to strike.

Another group of about 30 U.N. aid workers drives out of Baghdad, leaving about 260 aid workers still in Iraq.

In the United States:

Washington advises families of American diplomats to leave Kuwait and Israel and sends 750 more troops to Kuwait to bolster its defense.

Protesters shout down U.N. Ambassador Bill Richardson at the University of Minnesota, forcing him to abandon speech unfinished.

U.S. diplomatic posts worldwide are taking security measures and are warned of possible anti-American violence.

At the United Nations

In a bid to ease the humanitarian situation in Iraq, the U.N. Security Council votes to allow Baghdad to more than double the amount of oil it can sell under the U.N. oil-for-food plan.

In the Middle East:

In Jordan, a march in support of Saddam turns violent, with protesters setting fire to cars, breaking shop windows and firing on police. One protester is killed.

In Israel, hundreds of Israeli Arabs protest the threatened U.S. strike - the first such show of opposition from them. Palestinians hold more chaotic protests in the West Bank.

Jordan's Crown Prince Hassan calls for a diplomatic end to the Iraqi crisis, saying that U.S.-led military action to end the standoff was ``too horrifying to imagine.'

The U.S. Embassy in Israel says it will not provide gas masks to the about 130,000 U.S. citizens who live in Israel and the Palestinian areas.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Dakota Stevens, 27, was found unresponsive but breathing inside a holding cell about 4:15 p.m. on Monday, the Guilford County Sheriff's Office said in a news release. Detention and medical staff started life-saving measures and EMS arrived about 4:25 p.m. to take Stevens to High Point Medical Center. He was later transferred to Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist in Winston-Salem where he died about 4:10 a.m. Tuesday, the sheriff's office said.

  • Updated

Early Monday, the Union County school board voted 8-1 to immediately stop COVID-19 contact tracing and significantly curtail coronavirus quarantine requirements. Against advice of Union County’s health department as well as state and federal recommendations on reducing COVID-19 risks in classrooms, the school district will not require quarantine for students even if they’ve been in contact ...

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News