Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.


  • Updated
  • 0

Guilford County Board of Commissioners' chairman Steve Arnold will release documents and make a statement today regarding commissioner Calvin Hinshaw's hospitalization for medical and psychological evaluation.

Arnold said late Sunday that Hinshaw called him collect from Duke University Medical Center in Durham on Sunday morning, and that the two talked for 20 to 30 minutes.Arnold said he didn't know exactly what had prompted Hinshaw to call him, but that he was pleased. ``He sounded very fine,' Arnold said.

Arnold would not release details of their conversation or of the documents he will release today, saying he first wanted to update the other five commissioners.

Hinshaw, 67, was committed early last week to Charter Hospital in Winston-Salem and later transferred to Duke, according to a letter that Arnold hand-delivered to commissioners Friday morning. Arnold also said in the letter that he would seek Hinshaw's immediate resignation should allegations of ``misconduct and aberrant behavior' prove true. Arnold would not say Sunday if that were the case.

Hinshaw is part of the Arnold-led GOP majority on the Board of Commissioners that has led a year-long overhaul of county government.

GOP officials said they had been sending word to Hinshaw through his family asking for his resignation. Lists of possible replacements have included unsuccessful state House candidate Robert Moores and unsuccessful Guilford County school board candidate Jim Rumley.

Attempts to reach Hinshaw's family have been unsuccessful.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Dakota Stevens, 27, was found unresponsive but breathing inside a holding cell about 4:15 p.m. on Monday, the Guilford County Sheriff's Office said in a news release. Detention and medical staff started life-saving measures and EMS arrived about 4:25 p.m. to take Stevens to High Point Medical Center. He was later transferred to Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist in Winston-Salem where he died about 4:10 a.m. Tuesday, the sheriff's office said.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News