The 13-year-old girl who accused a Grimsley High football player of raping her used to call him on the phone often - back when she was 10, the former player testified Wednesday during his trial.
``She had started becoming a nuisance in the household,' Alvin Hardy Bost Jr. testified in Guilford Superior Court.A jury of nine men and three women began deliberations late Wednesday in the trial of the Grimsley senior, and will continue this morning.
Bost, 17, of 4507 Foxcroft Road is accused of breaking into the house of a 13-year-old girl and raping her twice July 27, 1989. He is charged with second-degree rape, first-degree kidnapping and felonious breaking and entering. If convicted on those charges, Bost could face 90 years in prison.
The small amount of physical evidence in the case has made it, mainly, a trial of words - hers against his. She is now 14.
Bost denied having visited the girl's house the day of the alleged attack.
And he contested the girl's testimony that he had talked to her about sex on the phone, and had asked her about certain sexual acts.
``I'm not familiar with those terms,' Bost told his attorney, Assistant Public Defender Fred Lind.
On Tuesday, the girl testified that Bost had broken into her house, tied her up with his football jersey and raped her. Bost was a varsity lineman for the Grimsley Whirlies last year. He wore No. 55 jersey. He is not on the team this year.
The girl called him several times a week after they first spoke over the phone in 1986, Bost and his parents testified Wednesday. The calls subsided for a while, then began anew later on, they testified.
In 1988, Bost testified, he asked the girl to stop calling him, and said her father got on the phone.
``Her father asked me why I was making his little girl cry,' Bost said.
In cross-examination, Assistant District Attorney Randy Carroll accused Bost of calling a different female student, from Kiser Middle School, and demanding to come over to her house, uninvited, in the same manner he is accused of in July 1989. In the other incident, in May 1989, the girl refused to answer the door when Bost arrived, Carroll said. He named the student, but she did not testify.
``No sir, I did not,' Bost said, when Carroll asked him about the incident.
In his closing argument, Lind told the jury to consider the physical evidence carefully.
``There is a lack of evidence in this case,' Lind said.
What may have been semen was found in the girl's vagina, but there was no evidence of tearing or bruising, according to testimony of a physician who examined the girl hours after the alleged attack.
An SBI trace evidence expert testified Tuesday that a hair found on the girl's blanket could have come from Bost, but it's impossible to say for certain, he said.
The history of phone calls suggest the girl wanted Bost as a sweetheart, Lind said.
But Carroll said that wasn't the point.
``What difference does it make? Does it show that she's not telling the truth?' Carroll said.
``There's not one bit of evidence,' Carroll said, ``suggesting why (she) would make this up and put herself through all this.'
The jury began deliberating after Superior Court Judge Thomas W. Seay denied defense motions to dismiss the charges.