Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
911 call released in death of 1-year-old High Point boy
breaking top story

911 call released in death of 1-year-old High Point boy

  • 0
Taporcsha S. Franklin


HIGH POINT — In a 911 recording, a High Point woman charged in the death of her 1-year-old son is heard begging someone to "please save my baby."

911 call in death of 1-year-old High Point boy

The about 22-minute recording of the Jan. 26 call reveals more details surrounding the boy's death after High Point police released limited information Monday about what happened. 

Taporcsha S. Franklin, 33, was initially arrested Jan. 28, charged with felony child abuse. She has since been charged with an additional count of child abuse and first-degree murder. She also is facing drug charges, according to Lt. Matt Truitt with the High Point Police Department. 

Police are not releasing the name of the child, Truitt said, but he confirmed that Franklin is the child's mother. 

Police said previously in a news release that officers responded Jan. 26 to a medical call at 224-C Brentwood St. and found the boy showing "minimal signs of life."

In the 911 call, Franklin asks for an ambulance. In the background, screaming can be heard.

Support Local Journalism

Your subscription makes our reporting possible.

"My baby's not breathing," a panicked-sounding Franklin says.

It isn't clear how many people are in the house with Franklin at the time. She tells the 911 dispatcher that a neighbor who was a daycare teacher is performing CPR on her son. 

Help can be heard arriving, but voices become distant later in the call, making conversation difficult to decipher. She tells someone that her son was "cold" when she woke up. Franklin also identifies herself to first responders and says that her "other son" is there with them in the home. 

Franklin asks a first responder if her baby is alive.

"Right now he does not have a pulse," the first responder replies. "He is not breathing."

EMS took the boy to a local hospital, but he was pronounced dead there, police said. 

A Jan. 27 autopsy revealed the cause of death to be blunt force trauma to the boy's body. The medical examiner also told investigators that there were previous injuries that indicated a history of physical abuse, police said. 

Police are still investigating what happened. This is the first criminal homicide in High Point for 2021, according to police.

Anyone with information about violent crime or illegal activity is asked to contact Crime Stoppers of High Point at 336-889-4000 or download the P3 Tips mobile app.

Contact Jamie Biggs at 336-373-4476 and follow @JamieBiggsNR on Twitter.


Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

At the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation, Guilford County Schools Chief of Staff Nora Carr rejoins former district Superintendent Maurice “Mo” Green, who is the foundation's executive director. Green, who joined the district as superintendent in 2008, left in 2016 to lead the Winston-Salem nonprofit.

The hospital system, which serves Guilford, Alamance, Rockingham, Forsyth, Caswell and Randolph counties, said in a news release the decision comes as the more contagious delta variant of the virus that causes COVID-19 increasingly dominates new cases in the state and nation. 

Recommended for you

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News