Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
1-year-old's death prompts murder and child abuse charges against High Point woman, police say
breaking top story

1-year-old's death prompts murder and child abuse charges against High Point woman, police say

  • 1
Taporcsha S. Franklin


HIGH POINT — Authorities have charged a High Point woman with murder after the January death of a 1-year-old, High Point police said in a news release. 

On Jan. 26, officers responded to a medical call at 224-C Brentwood St. and found the boy showing "minimal signs of life," according to police. 

The child was transported to an emergency room by EMS, but was pronounced dead at the hospital, police said. 

Investigators with the Special Victims Unit joined the investigation. 

Support Local Journalism

Your subscription makes our reporting possible.

An autopsy conducted on Jan. 27 revealed the cause of death to be blunt force trauma to the body of the child. The medical examiner also told investigators that there were previous injuries to the body that indicated a history of physical abuse, police said. 

Authorities arrested Taporcsha S. Franklin, 33, and initially charged her with felony child abuse. She was later charged with first-degree murder and an additional felony child abuse charge. 

Franklin has been in custody at the Guilford County Detention Center since Jan. 28. 

Police said the investigation into the incident is still active. This is the first criminal homicide in High Point for 2021, according to police.

Anyone with information about violent crime or illegal activity is asked to contact Crime Stoppers of High Point at 336-889-4000 or download the P3 Tips mobile app.

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

  • Updated

Officers responded about 8:10 p.m. to 3651 Hewitt St. on a report of an aggravated assault, police said in a news release. They found one person who had been shot. The victim was taken to a local hospital and later died.

Recommended for you

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News