Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Police identify men involved in shots fired call at a Greensboro business (Videos)

Police identify men involved in shots fired call at a Greensboro business (Videos)

  • Updated
  • 0
shooting insect shield

Greensboro police investigate a possible shooting incident near Greensboro College on Thursday, March 9, 2017.

Updated 6:41 p.m.

GREENSBORO — Two men face multiple charges after their workplace argument turned violent Thursday afternoon.

Greensboro police, Guilford County sheriff's deputies and other law enforcement agents from the surrounding area rushed to Insect Shield, at 814 W. Market St., about noon for a shots fired call.

Shaquille Lee McNeill is accused of firing a gun at co-worker Craig Lawrence Brooks, Greensboro police said in a news release. Witnesses said Brooks, 57, of 2324 Bonaire Lane pulled out a sharp weapon first and threatened McNeill. McNeill, 24, of 2106 White St. pulled out a gun and fired a single shot inside the business, according to the release.

Employees inside fled the building for safety.

No one was injured.

Brooks is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and resist, delay or obstruct an officer. He was also served an outstanding warrant in a separate incident. He is being held at the Guilford County jail on $1,000 bail.

McNeill is also charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill along with discharging a firearm within the city limits and discharging a firearm into an occupied dwelling. He is being held on $50,000 bail, according to the jail.

Updated 2:32 p.m.

GREENSBORO — Employees were going about their daily work when two co-workers got into a dispute that ended in gunfire Thursday afternoon.

Officers were called to Insect Shield about 12:55 p.m., police said. The business is a factory that treats clothing with an insect repellent. There they found one person with a sharp instrument, possibly a box cutter, and a second person with a gun. Both were taken into custody for questioning.

Neither was injured.

Jean Saunders, 64, has worked at the business for years. She said she was sitting at her desk when she heard a gunshot. She tried to get people out of the business and into the parking lot while a second woman went into an office and locked the door, calling 911.

"We have a loading dock on the side of the business," Saunders said. "They were on the dock on a break. I heard two shots. It's hard to know if they were inside or outside the building."

She said that, as far as she's aware, there's never been an argument between the two employees before today.

"We've never had anything like this, never," Saunders said. "Everyone gets along here."

Capt. Nathaniel Davis confirmed that a gun was fired at least once. He said the confrontation between the two employees escalated from a verbal dispute to a physical one before shots were fired.

The call came in to 911 as an active shooter, said Greensboro Police Chief Wayne Scott. That elicited a large-scale response from police and emergency officials.

No one was injured by gunfire, but two people were treated for reactions to the incident, Scott said.

"It's one of those calls that makes your heart skip a beat," he said.

The police department's motorcycle squad was training nearby, allowing for a quick response, Scott said.

As of mid-afternoon, charges had not been filed, police said.

Posted 1:44 p.m.

GREENSBORO — Police are investigating an incident near downtown that involved two men brandishing weapons.

According to Police Chief Wayne Scott, officers received a call of an active shooter at Insect Shield, 814 W. Market St. Once there, they found one man with a gun and another with a sharp-edged weapon.

The two men were taken into custody for questioning by police. No one was shot and police are still investigating whether shots were fired. It is still unknown if the men worked at the business.

Two other people were taken to the hospital for what police described as a medical reaction to the incident.

An eyewitness said 26 police vehicles and three police motorcycles responded. Police said such a large number was needed in order to get the situation under control quickly and also because of the incident's proximity to downtown.

With Greensboro College across the street from the business, college spokesman Lex Alexander said it "had everyone shelter in place for a few minutes until our security chief got over there" to determine the situation was under control. He said this probably lasted about 15 minutes.

Alexander said due to spring break, there are not many students on campus other than athletes playing this week. A lacrosse match was briefly interrupted. 

Contact Sarah Newell Williamson at (336) 373-7076 and follow @snewell_NR on Twitter.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Recommended for you

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News