Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Silent Sam’s fate is put on hold again; decision delayed until May

Silent Sam’s fate is put on hold again; decision delayed until May

  • 0

RALEIGH — UNC-Chapel Hill will have until at least late May to decide what should be done with the damaged Silent Sam statue, under an extension granted by the university system’s Board of Governors.

The Daily Tar Heel was the first to report the extension, which it said was announced at a meeting Monday of the UNC-CH Faculty Executive Committee.

UNC System spokesman Josh Ellis confirmed the deadline extension in a phone conversation Tuesday. Ellis said UNC Board of Governors Chairman Harry Smith sent an email to members of a committee working on the statue plan to tell them of the extension.

The email doesn’t give a reason for the reprieve.

The question of what to do with Silent Sam, the Confederate monument that stood in McCorkle Place on the UNC-CH campus from 1908 until it was yanked to the ground by protesters last August, is a complicated one with possible legal, financial and emotional ramifications well beyond campus.

The statue had been a source of controversy for decades between people who said its presence at a public university was implicit support for white supremacist ideals, and those who said it was a historic tribute to the sacrifices of students who fought in the Civil War.

Pro- and anti-monument activists continue to confront each other on campus, requiring university and Chapel Hill police to stand by in case of trouble.

The statue was vandalized many times over the years before it was pulled from its stone base to the ground. In January, then-Chancellor Carol Folt ordered the base removed as well. The remains of the monument have been stored while a committee considers options of what to do with them.

A committee first was asked to offer a solution by mid-November but was given more time, and in December recommended a plan to construct a new campus building to house the statue and provide historical context for it. A week later, the Board of Governors nixed the $5.3 million plan and gave a new committee of five members of the board, the university’s board of trustees and Folt until March 15 to come up with another solution.

Folt, who resigned in January with plans to remain in her job until the end of the academic year, was told by the Board of Governors to leave by the end of January.

It was the March 15 deadline that was extended Monday.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Recommended for you

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News

News Alert