Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.


  • Updated
  • 0

An off-duty Guilford County sheriff's deputy tried to shield a pregnant neighbor from an assault and was assaulted herself.

Mary Lynn Anderson, 34, a nine-year employee of the sheriff's department, suffered a concussion, a swollen face, a black-and-blue right eye and bruises on her arms and legs after she was beaten with the microphone from her patrol car radio Saturday night.Anderson was attacked in front of her house at Woodlake Mobile Home Park about 10:45 p.m. said Sgt. Mike Korn.

It all started when Anderson's neighbor, Bonnie Ann Sports took the car keys from her husband, Korn said. Sports told police that her husband got mad, punched her in the face and then started breaking apart the furniture, Korn said.

``The mobile home was just about destroyed,' Korn said. ``The kitchen table was broken. There was glass all over the place.'

Sports ran to Anderson's house for help.

Anderson came outside her mobile home and saw her neighbor Kenneth Eugene Sports breaking the window in his porch door, Korn said. That's when Anderson went to her driveway between the two homes, to use the radio in her patrol car.

As she started to radio for help, she was punched in the head and dropped the radio mike. Kenneth Eugene Sports allegedly ripped the mike out of the car and began using it as a weapon, Korn said.

``Mary Lynn got on the radio and she was calling for help,' said Korn, one of six deputies to respond. ``The next thing I know, I heard her screaming and hollering and the radio went dead. We knew she was off duty. We knew where she lived, so we all started for the mobile home park.'

Sports was charged with assault on a law enforcement officer inflicting serious bodily injury and damage to county property. He was also charged with assaulting his wife, who is 12 weeks pregnant. He was placed in Guilford County Jail in lieu of $10,000 bond.

Bonnie Ann Sports was treated at Wesley Long Community Hospital for minor injuries and released. Anderson, who declined comment, was treated and released at Moses Cone Memorial Hospital.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News