HOW TO PUBLICIZE UPCOMING EVENTS
Items forthe calendar should be submitted in writing at least two weeks before the event. Send items to Carolyn Booth, Calendar Editor, News & Record, 1921 Vance St., Reidsville, NC 27320, by fax to (336) 342-2513, or by email to email@example.com.
• Sundays on the Court, 3 p.m. March 29, Reidsville Family YMCA, 504 S. Main St. Presented by Rockingham County Tennis Association. Indoor tennis play days for kids ages 6-12 and families. No experience necessary. Equipment provided. Free. www.rockingham.usta.com. RCTennisAssociation@gmail.com.
• Rockingham County Habitat Restore, 1-3 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays, and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays, 249 The Boulevard, Eden. Proceeds benefit Rockingham Habitat for Humanity. Household items, remodeling supplies and treasures. For large-item pickup, call (336) 627-0160.
• Baseball/Fast-pitch Softball Registration. Presented by Eden Parks & Recreation Department. Co-ed baseball ages 4-6, boys baseball ages 7-14 and girls fast-pitch ages 7-15. Register at Mill Ave. Center, Bridge St. Center or Recreation office Eden City Hall. New players must bring copy of birth certificate. Practices: Co-Ed Peanut ages 4-6, March 31, Bridge St. and Mill Ave.; Boys Pony League ages 13-14, tryouts 4:30 p.m. April 10, Freedom Park.(336) 623-2110, Ext. 3026, or 612-8046.
• Genealogy Research, 12:30-4 p.m. Tuesdays, 12:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays, and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays, Family History Center, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 4751 N.C. 14, Eden. Consultants/genealogist available to assist in researching family history. Free. Copies 10 cents per page. Appointments: (336) 623-7154.
• Your Produce At Work, 5:30 p.m. March 31, Garden of Eden Senior Center, 508 Orchard Drive. Join Caroline Messer-schmidtand learn about nutrition and health benefits of your produce, including quick recipes foryourfruits and vegetables. Free. Information: Brett Sheppard, (919) 423-9264.
• Music at The Barn, 7 p.m. Tuesdays, 151 Gant Road, Eden. Open jam 6:15 p.m. (336) 706-1018 or 706-2144.
• Museum & Archives of Rockingham County, 1086 N.C. 65, Wentworth. 1-6 p.m. Wednesdays-Fridays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays. Wright Tavern tours included. Members free. $5 adults, $3.50 seniors and students, $2.50 ages 4-12. www.themarconline.org. (336) 634-4949.
• Steppin' Out Shaggin' Club, 7-10 p.m. Wednesdays, Santana's restaurant, 436 E. Stadium Drive, Eden. (336) 623-9434.
• Reidsville Chamber of Commerce Coffee, 8 a.m. April 2, Rockingham County Partnership for Children, 7572 N.C. 87, Reidsville. Support Backpacks for Kids by bringing food that can be packed in children's lunchboxes. www.reidsvillechamber.org. (336)349-8481.
• The Plantation Dancers, 1 p.m. Thursdays, The Plantation, 190 Club House Road, Reidsville. Learn line dancing. No experience necessary. $10 monthly. Faye Gwynn, (336) 634-0666.
• "Living Last Supper" Musical Drama, 7 p.m. April 2,
Main Street United Methodist Church, 221 S. Main St., Reidsville. Drama by Ruth Elaine Schram includes re-enactment of the Last Supper. Woodmont UMCwill be serving Maundy Thursday Munch at 6 p.m. $6 adults, $3 children, $20 family maximum. Community invited. Reservations: (336) 349-3432.
• Member Book Sale, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Fridays and 10a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays, Friends of the Library Used Bookstore, 103 S. Second Ave., Mayodan. Members get 50-percent off during March. Sale prices $1 and under. Memberships available at store. (336) 427-5230.
• Dan River Basin Association's First Saturday Outing,
10 a.m. April 4. Paddling, hiking and picnicking at Jones Lake, Sydnorsville, Va., off U.S. 220 North in Franklin County. Hosted by board of directors member Ellen Jessee. Bring boat, paddles, life jacketfor each boater, lawn chairs, water and lunch. Optional items include hiking boots, hiking stick, and fishing gear. Dress in layers and be prepared to sign a waiver. No pets allowed. Open to the public. Free. Directions, visit www.danriver.org. Information: Ellen Jessee, (276) 734-1317 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Easter Egg Hunt, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. April 4, Liberty Baptist Church, 141 Broadleaf Road, Reidsville. Inflatables, egg hunt, games for children ages 2-12, and hot dog lunch for the family. Free. Everyone welcome. (336) 342-5628.
• Easter Egg Hunt, 10 a.m. April 4, Mayodan United Methodist Church, 501 W. Main St. Community event. (336) 548-9508.
• Easter Egg Hunt, 11 a.m. April 4, Freedom Park, 121 N. Edge-wood Road, Eden. Sponsored by Eden Parks & Recreation. Find hidden prize eggs. Bring a camera and take picture with Easter Bunny. For toddlers and children up 12 years old. Rain date April 6. Free. (336) 623-2110, option 3.
• Eden Historical Museum,
10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays, 656 Washington St. $1. Children younger than 12 admitted free with paying adult. Groups: (336) 623-0773.
• Spring Stew and Bake Sale,
11 a.m. April 4, Bethany Civic Center, 5876 N.C. 65, Reidsville.
Eat in or carry out. $5.75 quart. Benefits Bethany Civic Center. Orders: Moore's Grocery, (336) 951-2568.
• Seth Williams, 7 p.m. April 4, The Fellowship Coffee House, 1601 Barnes St., Reidsville. Night of classic Southern rock. Open first Saturday monthly. Free admission, but offerings for musicians encouraged. (336) 932-1494.
Health & Fitness
• TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), 5:45 p.m. Mondays, Central Christian Church, 233 Stadium Drive, Eden. Lose weight, make friends and learn healthful eating habits. $28 a year. Half-price for children and spouses whojoin together. Brenda Denson, (336) 627-1086, or Pat Elske, (336) 627-0057.
• Narcotics Anonymous, 8 p.m. Mondays, The Fellowship, 1601 Barnes St., Reidsville. (336) 932-1494. http://fellowshipreidsville.org.
• Zumba Classes, 9 a.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, Madison-Mayodan Recreation Center, 300 S. Second Ave., Mayodan. $3 per class. (336) 548-2789 or Ben ita, (336) 453-2457.
• Blood Drive, 3-7:30 p.m.
March 31, Grace Baptist Church, 3097 U.S. 311, Madison. Photo ID required. Appointments: (336) 427-3494.
• Zumba Fitness, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Main Street United Methodist Church, 221 S. Main St., Reidsville. $3 per class. Emily Maillaird, (336)324-1797.
• Alcoholics Anonymous, 8 p.m. Wednesdays, Morehead Memorial Hospital Dining Room, 117 E. Kings Highway, Eden. (336) 623-2382 or 939-3230.
• Parkinson's Support Group,
1 p.m. April 2, Reidsville Public Library, 204 W. Morehead St. For those with Parkinson's, caregivers and friends welcome. Information: Beverly Hemperly, (336) 342-3390.
• Fibromyalgia Support Group, 2 p.m. Fridays, More-head Hospital, main conference room, 117 E. Kings Highway, Eden. (336) 589-6898.
• BEASTClass, 10:15 a.m. Saturdays, Madison-Mayodan Recreation Center, 300 S. Second Ave., Mayodan. Circuit-based exercise and strength training with stations. For men and women. $3 per class. (336) 548-2789 or (336) 453-2457.
• Helping Other Parents Endure, 7 p.m. April 6, Sunnycrest Church, 1583 Freeway Drive, Reidsville. For bereaved parents. (336)349-3026.
• Blood Drive, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
April 11, Bojangles', 2006 Barnes St., Reidsville. Community Blood Center of the Carolinas. RSVP to the Reidsville Chamber of Commerce. (336) 349-8481.
• National Health Care Decisions Day Workshop, 10 a.m. April 16, Hospice of Rockingham County Community Room, 2150 N.C. 65, Reidsville. Join Hospice of Rockingham County and Stever Arrington, elder law attorney, and learn about advance care planning, including living wills, health care power of attorney, organ donation and the five wishes document. Free. Registration required by calling (336) 427-9022.
• Rockingham Leads Group, noon Wednesdays, El Parral restaurant, 734 S. Van Buren Road, Eden. For business owners. Mark Hall, (336) 380-8478. email@example.com.
• Rockingham Rangers Camp 1835 Mayodan, Sons of Confederate Veterans, 7 p.m. April 2, Grogan's Store, 1600 N.C. 770, Stoneville. Meets on the first Thursday monthly. The public is invited. (336) 949-4209.
• Treasures Ministry Foster Care & Adoption Support Group, 6:30 p.m. April 3, Osborne Baptist Church, Cafe/Kids Clubhouse, 326 E. Stadium Drive, Eden. Foster or adoptive families join us for encouragement, support and to ask questions. Stephanie, (336) 655-1354.
• United Daughters of the Confederacy, Madison-Mayodan Greys Chapter 2569, 11 a.m. April 4, Madison-Mayodan Public Library, 611 Burton St., Madison. For people interested in honoring patriotic heritage, ministering to needs of veterans and families of all wars, and other charitable causes. Linda Vernon, (336) 427-0106, or Linda Ellington, (336) 634-0635.
• Mayodan Preservation League, 7 p.m. April 6, Mayodan Town Hall, 210 W. Main St. (336) 548-2241.
• Stoneville Town Council, 7 p.m. April 7, Stoneville Town Hall, 101 Smith St. (336) 573-9393.
• Wentworth Town Council, 7 p.m. April 7, Wentworth Town Hall, 124 Peach Tree Road. (336) 342-6288.
• Reidsville Mothers of Preschoolers, 9 a.m. April 9, Reidsville Christian Church, 2020 S. Park Drive. Crafts, fellowship and speakers. Child care provided. www.MOPS.org.
• Two Rivers Quilt Guild, 1 p.m. April 9, Garden of Eden Senior Center, 508 Orchard Drive, Eden. Share your talent. (336)627-4711.
• The PFC Jerry L. McKinney Marine Corps League Group,
6:30 p.m. April 9, Rockingham County Agriculture Center, 525 N.C. 65, Wentworth. Meets on the second Thursday monthly. Joe Zanetti, (336) 623-6779.
• Madison Board of Alderman, 7 p.m. April 9, Madison Municipal Building, 120 N. Market St. (336)427-0221.
• American Legion Post
254,10 a.m. April 11, 147 N. Fieldcrest Road, Eden. (336) 623-8122.
• Daughters of the American Revolution, William Bethell Chapter Meeting, 2 p.m. April 11, Museum& Archives of Rockingham County, N.C. 65, Wentworth. Mary Barret, (336) 623-5415 or visit DAR.org.
• Free Tax Assistance, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays, Garden of Eden Senior Center, 508 Orchard Drive, Eden.
Basic tax return preparation for low-to-moderate income and elderly taxpayers. Eligible people include taxpayers with disabilities or limited English proficiency and members of the military. Sponsored by Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Bring all necessary documents, including last year's tax return. Appointments: (336) 627-1611.
• Free Tax Assistance, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, through April 9, Reidsville Teen Center, 506 Sprinkle St. Prepared by VITA volunteers for seniors and non-seniors. Free. Appointments required. Call (336)394-4841 or 349-1088.
• Computer Use Skills for the Job Seeker, 9 a.m.-noon Monday-Friday, April 6-30, Eden Goodwill Industries Community Resource Center, 220 W. Kings Highway, Suite H. Taught by RCC instructors. Develop basic keyboarding, word processing, cover letters and technology-based job search strategies as well as access governmental and educational resources/services and apply for employment online. Free to unemployed or underemployed. Registration: (336) 623-3007.
• Get Advice: How to Get and Keep a Job, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. M-F April 6-17, Eden Goodwill Industries Community Resource Center, 220 W. Kings Highway, Suite H. Taught by RCC instructors. Learn interviewing and networking skills, job search and career change strategies. Free to unemployed or underemployed. Registration: (336) 623-3007.
• Managing Stress and Preventing Burnout, noon-2 p.m. April 7, Eden Goodwill Community Resource Center, 220 W. Kings Highway, Suite H. Sponsored by RCC Small Business Center. Join Emily Balance as she identifies causes of stress, reveals how to recognize early warning signs, and plans how to reduce stress by healthy lifestyle changes. Register at www.ncsbc.net. Free. Information: Vu Donie, (336) 342-4261, Ext. 2316, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Interviewing Skills,
5:30-9:30 p.m. April 7, Eden Goodwill Community Resource Center, 220 W. Kings Highway, Suite H. Taught by RCC instructors. Learn how to interview from start to finish by dealing with your nervousness and confidence. Free. Registration: (336) 623-3007.
• Getting Money for Your Business, noon-2 p.m. April 14, Eden Goodwill Community Resource Center, 220 W. Kings Highway, Suite H. Sponsored by RCC Small Business Center. From counseling to financing, this course will guide you to organizations that can help you with your business. Where to get financing, who to get it from and how to get it. Free. Information and registration: (336) 623-3007.
SCHOOL LUNCH MENU
Monday: Quesadilla, chicken pie, roll, tossed salad, steamed cabbage, strawberries, assorted fresh fruit.
Tuesday: Pizza, spaghetti, Texas toast, vegetable medley, tossed salad, applesauce, assorted fresh fruit.
Wednesday-Friday: Spring Break. No school.
HOW TO REACH US
• Myla Barnhardt, columnist:(336) 627-4881, Ext. 6116, email@example.com
• Carolyn Booth, calendar editor:(336) 627-4881, Ext. 6110, firstname.lastname@example.org
• News announcements: email@example.com
• Rockingham People announcements:
• Mail: 1921 Vance St., Reidsville, NC 27320
• Phone:(336) 627-4881 or (336) 627-1781
• Fax:(336) 342-2513
• Retail advertising: Karl Miller, (336) 627-1781, Ext. 6133
• Classified advertising:
(336) 627-1781, Ext. 6110
• Home delivery:(336) 627-5802, Ext. 6128
• Online: Go to News-Record.com for more news from Rockingham County and the Piedmont Triad.