Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
RESCUE SQUAD CHARGED IN LOOTING NOT TRIED YET

RESCUE SQUAD CHARGED IN LOOTING NOT TRIED YET

  • Updated
  • 0
Only $5 for 5 months

Four Stanley rescue squad members arrested 18 months ago for looting a house in the wake of the Toluca tornado still haven't gone to court, nearly two years after the incident.

The squad chief says the district attorney has no evidence. The arresting officer says he expects the evidence to convict the men. The district attorney's office says it's too busy to try the case.``I've called and called and called,' said Clara Pizzoli, the homeowner. ``The last time, I told the district attorney it had been almost two years, and he told me it may be two years more.

``It should have come up before now. I would like for it to be over. We've been through enough.'

Lincoln County deputies arrested the men in September 1989 and charged them with stealing $8,500 in guns and jewelry from a home destroyed in the tornado the night of May 5, 1989. The squad had helped search the rubble for victims.

Assistant District Attorney Rick Shafer, who schedules trials in Lincoln County, said he would try the case when he could get to it in a current load of more than 500 cases.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News