Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
VALVANO TALKS BREAK BUT WILL CONTINUE

VALVANO TALKS BREAK BUT WILL CONTINUE

  • Updated
  • 0

Negotiations over Jim Valvano's contract are expected to resume soon, members of the N.C. State University board of trustees said Tuesday after a 2 1/2 hour private meeting on the coach's future.

Board members said they had reached unanimous, informal agreement on the direction those negotiations should take, but refused to give specifics. They also said no formal votes were taken.Asked when the contract talks might start again, board member William L. Burns Jr. said: ``I assume immediately. We've got to get this resolved soon.'

Burns and others referred questions to Howard Manning, the Raleigh lawyer hired to represent the university in the negotiations.

Manning had no comment, nor did chief Deputy Attorney General Andrew Vanore Jr., who is assisting him.

When the meeting ended, Chairman John N. Gregg read a three paragraph statement that said ``we have just concluded a discussion of a personnel matter which involved the men's basketball program and Coach Valvano.'

The statement said that when a decision is made about Valvano's future, Interim Chancellor Larry K. Monteith will announce it at a news conference.

``The board of trustees expresses complete confidence in Chancellor Monteith in bringing this matter to conclusion,' Gregg said in his statement. ``We do not know at this time when that decision may be reached.'

Board members said the meeting was an opportunity for Manning and university officials to update them on the negotiations, which have been stalled for at least two weeks.

During the meeting, board members heard reports from George Worsley, vice chancellor for finance and business, on what both sides have offered.

Reportedly, the university has offered Valvano a year's salary of $106,000. Valvano wants to cash in on the $500,000 buyout clause in his contract, plus additional funds that have been set aside for him by the Wolfpack Club, the university's booster organization.

The board also heard from Monteith.

``I don't want to comment on anything that went on at the meeting,' Monteith said. ``My personal review of the men's basketball program will continue.'

For the past three weeks, Valvano's basketball program has been the focus of national attention.

The furor arose when former player Charles Shackleford acknowledged that he had accepted thousands of dollars from outside sources while at N.C. State. The State Bureau of Investigation also is probing allegations of point-shaving and gambling in Valvano's program.

Valvano has not been implicated in any wrongdoing.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

The California-based Coalition for Institutional Child Abuse Prevention is questioning whether the investigation of a former day care worker at Fellowship Presbyterian Church was thorough because other children weren't interviewed for signs of abuse. The woman was sentenced last month to 50 years in prison for abusing some children at the day care center, making photos and videos and allowing them to be posted online.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News