Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Date ends in death of High Point woman (Audio)

Date ends in death of High Point woman (Audio)

  • 0

HIGH POINT — A woman calling 911 for help Saturday can be heard telling a dispatcher she’s afraid the woman inside her son’s apartment isn’t breathing, but she’s too afraid to go inside.

Investigators would later discover Charlene Sade Alvarez dead in the home she shared with her two children and their father.

Sean Gibson, 28, of 300 Taylor Ave. Apt. B was charged Sunday morning with first-degree murder in the death of Alvarez, 27.

“He just called me,” the woman tells the dispatcher without identifying who she’s describing.

“She’s not waking up. I’m not going in there because I can’t see that,” the caller said.

A few minutes later, the dispatcher asks the woman to give the phone to someone who can go to the woman.

A man can be heard shouting, “I can’t talk to nobody. I can’t!”

“I’ve already got them on the way,” the dispatcher tells the woman. “I’m just trying to get her the help that she needs before they get there.”

At that point, the woman begins weeping. “Oh my God, I got to hang up.”

“Don’t hang up,” the dispatcher urges. “Tell me what’s wrong.”

High Point Police Capt. Tim Ellenberger said Alvarez and Gibson arranged for a babysitter to take the children overnight on Friday so they could go out.

At some point, the couple argued, Ellenberger said, though why isn’t clear.

Investigators believe Alvarez was killed either late Friday night or early Saturday morning. She was found dead inside their two-story apartment at the top of the stairs, Ellenberger said.

Police have not released a cause of death. An autopsy was scheduled to be held Monday at the N.C. Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Officers were called to the house about 9:45 a.m. Saturday when the children’s caregiver came to the apartment, Ellenberger said. Gibson was still there.

When police arrived, Ellenberger said it appeared Alvarez had been dead at least an hour and that nothing had been cleaned up since her death.

It is not clear from the 911 call made by Gibson’s mother whether she was the person who brought the children back to the apartment.

Ellenberger said police haven’t been called to the address previously. He didn’t immediately know how long Gibson and Alvarez had been together.

Gibson is in jail without bail. His next court appearance is April 21.

Contact Sarah Newell Williamson at (336) 373-7076 and follow @snewell_NR on Twitter.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

  • 1:02

A woman called for an ambulance after Charlene Sade Alvarez was discovered dead on March 18, 2017, at her home on 300 Taylor Ave. Apt. B in Hi…

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News